Tiara, built by Frank Cossitt, was finished in 1845 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The name "Tiara," is derived from the cupola which sits like a crown at the top of the home. A beautiful, winding, solid-walnut stairway leads from the entry hall to the upstairs and a large double parlor, typical of many antebellum homes, takes up the entire western part of the lower floor.
In 1834, the house was being considered to serve as the courthouse for the proposed new 'Bell County,' which was to be formed from the southern strips of Fayette and Hardeman counties. Two attempts to form the new county proved unsuccessful due to legal technicalities. During the Civil War Tiara served as a hospital for wounded soldiers.
In 1900 a tornado struck La Grange and blew the beautiful cupola fifteen miles away to nearby Hickory Valley, TN. The cupola was retrieved and later restored intact to its original position. In 2007 the home and many of its original furnishings was purchased by Mary Jean Smith of Collierville, TN. Mary Jean and her husband, Bob, spent 7 years restoring Tiara to her former glory.